- PepsiCo is restructured to focus on its three core businesses: soft drinks, snack
foods and restaurants. Transportation and sporting goods businesses are sold.
- Wayne Calloway becomes president of PepsiCo.
- Diet Pepsi is reformulated with 100% NutraSweet.
- Slice and Diet Slice, the first major soft drinks with fruit juice, are introduced.
- Pepsi-Cola makes advertising history as Michael Jackson and his brothers usher in
a new generation of Pepsi-Cola advertising in two of the most eagerly-awaited television
commercials featuring music marketing. Pepsi becomes "The Choice of a New Generation."
- Herman W. Lay Award of Excellence established at Frito-Lay to recognize world-class