- Pepsi-Cola International enters a landmark joint venture agreement in India.
- Renewed accord with the Soviet Union extends PepsiCo trade relationships.
- Hostess Frito-Lay, a major new partnership in Canada, is formed with Hostess Foods
- "Chase," a four-part Pepsi ad featuring Michael Jackson in his first-ever episodic
commercial, airs during the Grammy awards and becomes the most-watched commercial
in advertising history.
- Pepsi-Cola runs first paid advertisement on Soviet TV during "Pozner in America,"
a joint US-Soviet production.
- Worldwide retails sales of Doritos brand tortilla chips hit $1 billion. It is the
world's largest selling snack chips brand.
- PepsiCo introduces SharePower Stock Option program for all employees, becoming the
first large corporation to award stock options to virtually all full-time employees.