- Frito-Lay launches new Doritos brand Tortilla Thins. Within five months of launch,
Tortilla Thins breaks into the ranks of the 10 largest-selling snack chips in the
- After a 27-year absence, Pepsi returns to Broadway with the lighting of a spectacular
new neon sign in Times Square.
- Both PepsiCo beverages and snack food operating profits pass the $1 billion mark.
- Pepsi-Cola introduces freshness dating.
- Frito-Lay introduces Baked Tostitos brand Tortilla Chips.
- Pepsi introduces "The Cube," an innovative 24-can multipack, that satisfies growing
consumer demand for convenient large size soft drink packaging.
- PepsiCo acquires East Side Mario's Restaurants Inc. It sells the 40 units in 1997.
- PepsiCo acquires D'Angelo Sandwich Shops chain, which is sold in 1997.
- Pepsi-Cola International introduces Pepsi Max, a soft drink with unique blend of
sweeteners that delivers maximum cola taste in a no-sugar product.
- Frito-Lay nationally launches Wavy Lay's Original and Au Gratin flavors.
- Pepsi-Cola introduces Aquafina bottled water into test market.