- Pepsi-Cola is first major soft drink maker to begin producing and distributing its
product in Vietnam.
- Pepsi-Cola launches its sports drink All Sport. It is sold in 2001.
- Pepsi-Cola International acquires Indian company, its first big bottling plant in
- Doritos is introduced to the United Kingdom, marking the creation of a new "global
- Frito-Lay and K.C. Masterpiece Original Brand Barbecue Sauce launches Lay's Masterpiece
brand Barbecue Flavor Potato Chips, marking the first time Lay's has entered into
a co-branding agreement.
- PepsiCo and Starbucks form the North American Coffee Partnership to jointly develop
ready-to-drink coffee beverages.
- Pepsi-Cola licenses the Citrus Hill trademark from The Procter & Gamble Co.
to launch a line of fountain juices and drinks.
- China gets cheese-less Cheetos, the first time a major snack-food brand will be
produced in China for Chinese tastes.
- Reba McEntire becomes first celebrity to appear nationally on a Frito-Lay package.
- Frito-Lay nationally launches new baked Rold Gold Fat Free Thins Pretzels, the first
fat free reduced sodium pretzel introduced by the company.
- Wake Forest University names its School of Business and Accountancy in honor of
- PepsiCo sales reach $30.4 billion. There are 470,000 employees worldwide, making
PepsiCo the third largest employer.