- Pepsi-Cola introduces new advertising campaign with the theme "Generation Next."
- Pepsi-Cola North American bottling operations become a separate unit called The
Pepsi-Cola Bottling Co.
- National roll-out of Aquafina bottled water.
- Frito-Lay announces plans to buy the 104-year-old snack, Cracker Jack, a candy-coated
mix of popcorn and peanuts from Borden Foods Corp.
- Pepsi-Cola kicks off the celebration of its 1998 100th Anniversary with first worldwide
bottlers conference, held in Hawaii. The event is held during the same time as first
- Frito-Lay introduces Doritos 3D's Tortilla Chips, a triangle-shaped chip.