For the third consecutive year, PepsiCo held its annual Career Accelerator Week alongside STEMconnector, an organization that promotes STEM education and development opportunities. This event continues to grow each year and 2016 marked the biggest to date — spanning across several cities in the U.S. and Mexico, with PepsiCo locations welcoming more than 350 middle and high school students from underserved communities.
Throughout Career Accelerator Week, students interacted with PepsiCo scientists, chemists, IT professionals and engineers to learn about the important and often-unexpected role STEM professionals play at PepsiCo. With each PepsiCo location offering its own robust agenda, highlights included:
- Programming robots and learning about product seasoning technology in Plano, Texas
- Touring Gatorade Mission Control to learn about data science in Chicago, Illinois
- Exploring how STEM concepts are used to help improve athletic performance through a virtual visit to the Gatorade Sports Science Institute in Barrington, Illinois
- Interacting with a Packaging Scientist and sampling flavors with a Flavor Chemist in Purchase, New York
- Learning about sensory development, nutrition and packaging in Mexico City and Apodaca, Mexico
Here’s a closer look at the students’ firsthand STEM experiences:
Career Accelerator Week is an integral part of PepsiCo’s longstanding partnership with STEMconnector, as well as the company’s ongoing efforts to expose young STEM talent to career possibilities in science, technology, engineering and math. In addition to Career Accelerator Week, PepsiCo also supports STEMconnector’s “Million Women Mentors,” an initiative that advances women and girls in STEM careers.
To learn more about PepsiCo's commitment to supporting STEM students, read about the company's annual engineering contest here, and check out how STEM impacts PepsiCo every day here.